Veganism / Vegetarianism

We Are Back-to-School! Forums Materials Middle School Non-Book Based Veganism / Vegetarianism

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by fdfsdfds Datasapien 3 years, 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 829 times

• Author
    fdfsdfds
    Datasapien
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 12

I’m a subscriber to a Youtube channel called ‘Kurzgesagt’ (I highly recommend their videos) and they recently put out a video about the meat industry and the realities of what goes into some of our favourite foods. I thought it’d make a nice thought-provoking lesson for my middle school boys, so put together a PPT and worksheet to use alongside the video.

I haven’t taught this lesson yet (I will do so in around an hour!) so I might edit this, but I currently envisage the lesson plan as follows:

– Introduce the topic of the lesson (food, but specifically meat vs plants)
    – General discussion about food, what we eat etc.
    – Ask Ss to write what they ate yesterday and ask a couple of volunteers to share with the class.
    – Introduce the vocabulary (vegetarian, vegan, ‘going veggie’), ask Ss what each term means and show them using the PPT slides.
    – Ask Ss if they think they can ‘go veggie’ and ask them to write a couple of sentences. Ask for volunteers to share.
    – Tell Ss they are going to watch a video. There are some questions, ask them to try write the stats as they watch.
    Why Meat is the Best Worst Thing in the World
    – After the video, review the stats using the PPT.
    – Wrap up the video by asking the Ss what they think the main message is.
    – Finish the class with a quick look at some vegetable / fruit facts and idioms. (The final PPT slide is 42 – the last slides are just relics of my planning process which I leave in case I revisit this lesson in the future and want to add elements / expand on ideas etc. so they can be ignored!)

Since I first watched the video a kind soul has uploaded Korean subtitles, which I plan to use for their first viewing (the video uses a lot of complicated words that the students will struggle with, and which I don’t have time to explain). Therefore I plan on using the Korean subtitles so that the students can understand the content, which is the main point of the lesson for me. However, if there’s time at the end I will replay the video again with English subtitles.

Note: I’m not a vegetarian nor a vegan, although I am trying to reduce the amount of meat in my diet. I just thought this’d make for an interesting lesson and some of the facts might surprise my kids.

I welcome any feedback so please let me know! ๐Ÿ™‚

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by fdfsdfds Datasapien.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.