Public Speaking Course

Winter Camp is Around the Corner Forums Materials University Speaking Public Speaking Course

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Mr C Mr C 2 years, 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 450 times

• Author
    Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 207

For four years, I taught a one semester Public Speaking course for Seoul Nambu district of education. These were high-level high school students (200+ applied, 24 got in), and the course was very much like a first year university course. I haven’t gone through really, but since they are just as I left them when the project lost its funding, they should be pretty tight. I’m going to post in four sections.

Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant

For four years, I taught a one semester Public Speaking course for Seoul Nambu district of education. These were high-level high school students (200+ applied, 24 got in), and the course was very much like a first year university course. I haven’t gone through really, but since they are just as I left them when the project lost its funding, they should be pretty tight. I’m going to post in four sections.

INTRODUCTION/ORGANIZATION
    This includes intro to the course as well as student introductions, organizing and researching a speech topic, and how we should evaluate a speech (even though this comes later in the sequence). I’ll attach the evaluation FORMS as well.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant

TYPES OF SPEECH
    The four main types are generally given as narrative, informative/instructional, persuasive and entertaining. We treated the narrative in the so-called “paper bag speech”, which has become quite popular in American PS classes. To make the entertaining speech less formidable, students try to fit their speech into a special occasion like a wedding, or commencement.

Attachments:
    Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant

PRESENTATION

This post includes delivery, language and style, and visual aids. Today that means losts of coverage of “presentation software”. I have to point out that while my PPT prowess has grown substantially since I made these materials, the general rules haven’t changed.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Mr C Mr C.
    Attachments:
    Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant

REVIEW/GREAT SPEECHES

These are the review materials including the “mock exam”. We also used some “great speeches” and provided transcripts. The videos are readily available on YT; the exact Julius Caesar is the BBC television series from the late 70s-early 80s. Blaine Harden’s TED lecture is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SAWKDRHZuw

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.