Filite (필라이트)

We Are Back-to-School! Forums Discussion Forum Food and Drink Filite (필라이트)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Andy 4 years ago. This post has been viewed 1336 times

• Author

Andy
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 103

Short review: Filite is terrible, but is cheap.

****PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE INLINE IMAGES****

If you are frugal, as I am, Filite is a good beer to drink. My general feeling is that only the first one is bad, and then after that they get progressively better until it doesn’t really matter anymore. To be honest, though, the only reason to drink Filite is the price, and there are other cheap beers that are much better and only nominally more expensive. Still, I don’t drink much, and I am cheap as hell, so Filite it is. I mean, I can pick up 24 cans at Costco for less than 18,000krw, and I love drinking out of cans. Some days, though, when even that is too much money, I can go to the supermarket and grab a 1,600cc pitcher for 2,690krw or 2 for 5,000krw.

Honestly, though, the main reason that I appreciate Filite is that it showed people it was possible to circumvent Korean beer tax laws. Even though it tastes terrible, I imagine that somewhere there are drunken mad scientists working on making something similar that tastes a lot better. So, in a way, Filite is a promise for a better future for everyone.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by  Andy.
    DrKnow
    DrKnow
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 494

My general feeling is that only the first one is bad, and then after that they get progressively better until it doesn’t really matter anymore.

This, my friend, is the universal truism about alcohol. You may remember in the New Testament, when the folks at the wedding in Cana were so surprised by the first miracle performed by Jesus. Folks were having a great time until the libations started to run out. Jesus turned water into wine, really good wine it happened, so the guests were all like, “Why did you waste the good wine by bringing it out now? We’re all plastered at this point, any crappy old wine will do.” Apparently it was the waste of a perfectly good miracle, but he was only getting started in the miracle game, so it’s a learning experience for the Son of Man.

Point being, you drink the good stuff until you start to get hammered, then pull out the Thunderbird when no one can tell the difference.

But as to Filite (and this may be a thread merge), my understanding is that it was developed as the perfect pairing for soju in a 소맥 (somaek) situation. It has a bitter after that I imagine fits well with the slightly sweet profile of soju.

But for me, the bitter is exactly what I want in a beer, at least when I am drinking more than a few at home. I’ll get one of those 4 for man won deals and a couple of Filite to intersperse in the midst of them, and thereby save a few thousand won.

Also, I like the image of an elephant with a balloon coming out of his butt.

Andy
    Keymaster

Well, I hadn’t heard the somaek thing before, but it seems entirely plausible to me. I know that I certainly add a shot or so to every Filite (autocorrect: dilute) that I drink.

Speaking of cheap beers, I swear I drove by an Emart24 the other day and saw a banner advertising 6 cans for 10 grand, but when I went to the one in my neighborhood no such deal existed. Of course in Songdo nothing is cheap, so the deal might be available elsewhere, and I will keep my eyes peeled.

DrKnow
      DrKnow
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 494

There’s an Emart24 in my neighborhood, and it has the deal, except it’s six cans for 9,900₩. The beer is “Kingdom of Belgium” or something and comes in three flavors, weizen, Pilsner and “export”. They’re all 5% and all a little under 3 stars out of five in my reckoning, so you could do worse. But Stella it ain’t.

Andy
      Keymaster

Is that the same Belgium beer Emart sells in those 1 liter plastic bottles for 2,400w? That stuff is pretty good, and probably the best quality-price ratio around.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.