2019 Gr 6 Cheonjae (Ham) – Lesson 2: I have a cold

‘Living with Covid’ Back-to-School! Forums Materials Elementary School 6th Grade 2019 Gr 6 Cheonjae (Ham) 2019 Gr 6 Cheonjae (Ham) – Lesson 2: I have a cold

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by elize67 elize67 10 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 8956 times

• Author
    DrKnow
    DrKnow
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts: 493

Add your post below

Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 294

This lesson is very similar to the old book, but I have adjusted it for the new vocabulary. My materials:
    -vocab intro with strip bingo game
    -Place Your Bets, very popular, full instructions included
    -What’s wrong with Lucy? sentence maze activity: it looks like a word search but it’s not; worksheet includes maze and comprehension questions- you should try it first if you are not familiar with a sentence maze
    -Sentence Surgeons, this is basically Blazing Pens game
    -Crossword and wordsearch worksheet
    -Avengers theme quiz game
    -disappearing dialogue PPT for period 5
    -warm-ups: Review vocab for period 2; What’s missing? teams identify what illness is missing from the second slide; rebuses, students really love doing these.
    -also have a cold remedies from around the world activity, probably choose this one or place your bets, since they are similar in gameplay.
    -Finally, a good song for this unit.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Chiomaa17
      Chiomaa17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3

These are pretty solid activities, thanks so much! The kids really enjoyed the sentence maze. I’d love to create more for them. Can you please let me know how you created it? Was there a website generator or something. I searched, but I couldn’t quite find any like this one.

Mr C
      Mr C
      Participant

Hi!

I found one of these sentence mazes at a website called kizschool.com. However, I’ve never seen one anyplace else. So, I make them myself, each one takes a couple of hours. I do about three each year in 5th and 6th grade.

Decide the size of your grid, 15X15 or 16X16 is a good size. So you will write a paragraph of 225 or 256 characters (minus 10 or so, for the blank spot). Turn on character counter in Word, and leave out all punctuation. Now just put the characters in the grid so they make an aethetically pleasing design.

Have fun!

Andy
      Keymaster
      • Total Posts: 109

I am pretty busy right now, but this seems like something I could make a web app for. I will look into it.

Andy
      Keymaster

So it has been two weeks but I haven’t forgotten about this. It turns out that it is a pretty interesting math problem, which kind of distracted me from the main point of making a maze generator but I am working on it, I swear. I should have something put together shortly!

Chiomaa17
      Chiomaa17
      Participant

Thanks a bunch. I will try my hand at it.

Andy
      Keymaster

Sorry for taking so long to get this out, but I ended up spending a bunch of time reading about hamiltonian paths and their implementation, which slowed me down a lot. Anyway, I put together a script that will take a story and make a maze with it. It is pretty basic and I have only lightly tested it, but it should work. You can use it here. Let me know if you have any problems.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  Andy.
      Chiomaa17
      Chiomaa17
      Participant

@Andy, wow, you’re amazing! I tried your word maze creator, and it works fine. Thanks for your contribution

Asaphtrapo
      Asaphtrapo
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2

Hello there Mr. C

Thank you so much for sharing your materials.

StefaneeKaye
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 7

Made a reading activity for the book “How do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?”

Scholastic made an animated feature out of the book’s illustrations but the audio is all in Spanish. So I cut the video into gifs and added captions for the books English text. I can read it to the students and they repeat. Then concept check at the end.

Here is a link to the PPT on Google Drive since the file size is so large.

Andy
      Keymaster

Nice! Thanks a lot!

StefaneeKaye
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 7

Made an activity called “Create a Virus.” Students design their own virus (name, drawing, symptoms, and a prescription of what to do to make it better, as well as where their virus begins infecting people, if it’s deadly, and who it attacks) as mad scientists. Then, based on where the virus begins, the students can introduce their virus and try to decide which one is the strongest/which will spread all over the world.

The word doc has two worksheets per page and is printed front and back.

Attachments:

Joshua
    Participant

I have vocabulary, a lyric challenge, and a game I borrowed and re-formatted from Mr. C.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Am4h_xcJGe0QgVpnGWqU2oVI6Vc0fXzGvWD-Tka-x-Y/copy

Mr C
    Mr C
    Participant

New activity, the crossword puzzle using ppt picture clues, ideal for Zoom classes or just vocab/spelling warm-up.

I have a student pick a number and show the clue picture, Ss write the word on their worksheet. Instructions included.

This went over quite well in lesson 1!

Attachments:
    elize67
    elize67
    Participant

Thanks a million. you PPT are great!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.