2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics English Camp

Second Semester is Here Forums Materials Elementary School Summer/Winter Camps 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics English Camp

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JES 1 year, 10 months ago. This post has been viewed 880 times

• Author

JES
    Participant
    • Total Posts: 27

Hello, this is Day 1 of my Five-days-worth of materials for my winter camp this year. Not to insult your intelligence, but it is on the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

This has material for both lower and higher level students. I’ll do this camp at my two schools, 3rd-6th graders everywhere in the English fluency (or lack thereof) spectrum. The stuff I cover is basic.

Disclaimer: I got most of my slides and workbook materials from jiwonbae1 in waygook.org. Thank you so much jiwonbae1, you made my preparations so much less stressful! I’ve just copied, pasted, and adapted (plus added a few slides of my own). To see his original work, go here: http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=111740.msg739025#msg739025.

(Also, I’m waiting for the easier version of the workbook to be ready, since there are some parts I need in Korean).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    1+

JES
    Participant

Day 2:
    – Review Olympic facts from Day 1
    – Learn about the winter sports in the Winter Olympics
    – Guess the winter sport with gifs
    – learn about Curling, Luge, and Skeleton (and play a table-top version of curling or slide down the hall of wheeled stools).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by  Andy.
    Attachments:
    1+

JES
    Participant

Day 3:
    – Review Days 1 and 2.
    – Learn about a few athletes coming to this Olympics.
    – Learn briefly about the mascots.
    – Make candles (kit from Korean online store)!

Attachments:
    1+

JES
    Participant

Day 4:
    – Review Days 1-3.
    – Learn how to call people of other nationalities (and those of mixed nationalities, for the higher levels).
    – Make either hot chocolate (have whipped cream, cinnamon, sprinkles, mint candy, marshmallows, whatever, etc.) or chocolate fondue!

Attachments:

JES
    Participant

Day 5 (final day):
    – Review everything from Days 1-4.
    – Have a Scavenger Hunt.

I’ve typed out a set of sentences from their respective grammar points. The plan is to cut them up, add the words to one sentence in a balloon, and have a balloon or two per team to solve during the scavenger hunt.

I have my own scavenger hunt clues, but they’re not so great. The idea is to get them running all over the school, gathering random items at each station–which they need to bring back to me. Then, they get to choose a number that has their prize written on it (still not quite done with that, but that’s the idea. I’m sure you can come up with something better).

Good luck! I’m doing this now, and my kids are enjoying it so far.

Attachments:

JES
    Participant

Finally, the workbook for 3rd & 4th graders (or just lower level).

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.